A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Biggleswade

• 10 Replies

Luke

• View Profile
Biggleswade
« on: August 15, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »
Lost 1-3

Difficult to know what to say, what with 11 players who have never played together, probably barely trained together either.

There were some positive things, but also a LOT for Byron to work on. We weren't a million miles away, and with Pat Sappleton (at a wedding apparently) back for Wednesday should be a lot stronger at the back.

Could do with another striker and getting Troy back in midfield where his workrate is far more useful in my opinion.
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 189 | Last new: Herns Way, Welwyn Garden City
Total grounds: 264 | Last new: Meadowbank Ground, Dorking

Ben

• View Profile
Re: Biggleswade
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
who have never played together, probably barely trained together either.
This is probably the key element. Report from the website makes it sound like it was a closer game than the scoreline suggests. Give them a fair idea as to what their team-mates all do, and things should improve. :)

stingray46!

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »
Wasn't able to attend today's game, but despite the score line its seems that there were some positives to take from it. Hopefully given time, a little bit of luck and plenty of hard work things will improve, starting on wednesday.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
Wasn't able to attend today's game, but despite the score line its seems that there were some positives to take from it. Hopefully given time, a little bit of luck and plenty of hard work things will improve, starting on wednesday.

Like me I was not able to go to the game but it sounds from the report that the team was getting better as the game progressed. We scored and had other reasonable chances. I will be at Leighton for the game. The team will improve they need time to get to know each other. Let keep the faith

stingray46!

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
Here Here Brentford Duck. Due to a change in my personal circumstances I won't be able to attend as many matches this season. However I will be at the game on Wednesday and am looking forward to it.

Did any player stand out as having the potential to be a big player for us this season?

Erika

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:04:03 PM »
Bruno and Moses look like the ones to watch...

Prez!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »

Did any player stand out as having the potential to be a big player for us this season?

Thought Troy BANTLEMAN looked good, as did Calvin Thomas.
Thought we were very frail at the back, but improvements will come with tim.
I, for one, was encouraged by our performance, and although Byron has his work cut out, we seem to have a group of players prepared to battle & fight for each other.
I must also commend both sides on a very clean game with virtually no disciplinary stoppages.
A law unto himself since 1960.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
Considering half the team were virtually unknown to each other before kick off, I thought over the whole 90 minutes, there were some encouraging signs.  Quite impressed with the young right back - he has obviously had a good grounding in his youth days and hardly wasted a pass or missed a tackle.  A few square pegs in round holes out of necessity, but especially in the second half we started playing like a team rather than individuals.   Credit there to Byron and the coaching staff for changing things during half time.  I know there are more players to come in, on Wednesday night we will see a few different players I am sure.  If there was one observation about yesterday's team it is that we had a lot of smaller players who could get brushed aside easily by the stronger teams in this division, which makes Dean Powles injury lay off all the more frustrating, he is certainly one who could compete physically at this level. 

With the team having not really played together until Saturday, we would appear to be behind other teams in terms of preparation.  I think the next 2 or 3 weeks will start to see a more cohesive team knitting together, hopefully getting on the winning trail before too long.  Looking at yesterday's results, there look to be a few teams that will struggle this year - let's hope we aren't one of them!

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »
Bruno and Moses look like the ones to watch...
With a name like that, so he should be ;D

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:03:25 AM »
I agree with the majority of the posts on here. Not wishing to use an abvious football cliche, but it really was a game of two halves. As has been said, a good proportion of the team only met in the changing room before the game so it shouldnt be surprising that the first half was disjointed and we obviously paid for that.

In the second half we were much the better side with players seeming to get used to each other, and the system. Obvioulsy early days and I think it might take 4 or 5 matches for the team to really gel but I think there ar encouraging signs for the season.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 09:50:28 AM »
hello you lot. so we're back at leighton are we? i'll try to remember not to get into the cricket club next door like last time when i'm back