A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

SAY NO TO MARK EATON PROPOSAL!!

• 87 Replies

stallion

SAY NO TO MARK EATON PROPOSAL!!
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »
I have heard he has put forward a proposal to merge both clubs at Tuesday meeting!Why is the manager of Aylesbury FC put this forward.He is not the Chairman of that club .I would like to hear Mr Martone comments on this.No way I am against it and will be there to vote against it!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:56:05 PM by stallion »

Re: SAY NO TO MARK EATON PROPOSAL!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
Whoever will be taking on the proxy votes, please put in a "no" vote on my behalf.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:50:35 PM »
I won't be there and I'm not entitled to vote and who knows if it's on the agenda anyway but if it is then hopefully there will be some yes's.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
I do find it strange that the manager of AFC has come up with the proposal - after all I doubt Tony Joyce has the authority to go around proposing mergers et al and I can't see Sir Alex phoning up Sheikh Man City and suggesting the formation of a Manchester super club!

Will certainly be an interesting evening on Tuesday.

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
Given Mr Eaton and his friends were so keen to attend one of our other meetings (not a 21CD meeting) I say invite him and his chairman to attend and put his proposal to us . Bet he wouldn't dare turn up , including their chairman !!

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:46 PM »
Come on, you know he will only turn up if he is allowed to bring his Guard Dog with him! :o

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »
If it is the right proposal, works for both sides then why say no ? Of course if it is all one way in the favour of AFC then no I dont want to see that happen, but if it is a merger that is fair and equal then surely we all want to see a succesful side in Aylesbury, I know I do.  I certainly do miss those great FA Cup runs we had, playing at a decent level just below the conference, good size crowds and the banter I enjoyed with the people around me but that for me has all been lost, it certainly wasnt there the last few times I have been to a AUFC game

I have stayed away from AUFC for a few years and havent been to a game at Leighton, but doesnt mean I am not interested in what happens to this great club.

A merger might be the best way forward or a groundshare locally if there is that option, but I think people attending the meeting need to go with a clear mind and listen to the proposals/options put forward.  I for one am interested in what is going to be said at this meeting, I am hoping that it is a real plan with real means of moving forward and the club moving back to Aylesbury somehow.  Some people on here are already saying no to any kind of merger, maybe if 21CD has the discussions with AFC then maybe it would be a different conversation than the one Mr Read had with AFC.  I dont think many of us knew that was taking place until it had fallen through !! 

stallion

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
Franco,21CD would not be able to say yes to the merger.That is what it would be the end of Aylesbury United! They only have a certain amount of shares in the club anyway.If you was at the last meeting any thought of that went for me with the way Mark Eaton and crew conducted themselves.We our all entitled to our views,but I will express mine on Tuesday.I want to know how he has approched 21CD and asked this to be discussed?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:40:43 PM by stallion »

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:43:10 PM »
If this is the proposal being put forward, then we need to have an open mind when considering it.  As always, the devil will be in the detail.  Graham Read has said in the past that if the fans wanted a merger he wouldn't stand in the way, but would not be part of it.  Should that be a reason to vote no?  I have a lot of time and respect for Graham Read and Ken Turnbull, (and also John Newman in the past) for their roles in keeping the club afloat.  I wouldn't like to see them cast aside from any new venture, but I understand that they have issues with the personalities at AFC.

There seem to be more questions than answers in my mind at the moment, combining 2 clubs is not an easy task.  Two sets of playing staff - there are a good number of our squad I would like to see retained for next year, certainly had we had this squad last year I think we would have avoided relegation.  Then there is the management side - what future would there be for Joycey, Creaser and Hawksworth?  If Mark Eaton is proposing this merger, I assume he will expect to carry on as manager.  Then the behind the scenes people.  We have a first class support team (no doubt AFC do also)  Will they all be able to work alongside each other.  I would hope so, because that is one area we could easily benefit from, and build a healthy fan base.  Finally, and maybe a less important question in some people's eyes, what would the new club be called and what colour kit would it wear.  Personally I would like to see AUFC remain as the name and Green kit with Red/Black as the away strip - but I am not naive enough to think this will happen!

All of this is pure speculation of course, the Eaton rumour may be just that, an unfounded rumour.  But I understand the concerns of those who can't attend the meeting and who are considering a proxy vote.  Its difficult to know how to vote when you aren't there to hear the arguments on both sides of a proposal - or even have the benefit of knowing what the proposals are before the meeting.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:45:38 PM by Ian »

stallion

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »
If true,lets be frank,nothing of AUFC would remain,he wants as gone so only one club.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:51:26 PM by stallion »

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »
Thats why we need an open and frank Q&A with the proposers of any such resolution.  Trust is a big word though! :-\

stallion

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »
I wouldn't trust him or them at all.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 12:57:44 PM »
Stallion i hear what you are saying about it being the end of Aylesbury United and I dont want to see that either, but I have sat here for months and months reading all the messages on this board about the club, it's future, groundshares and mergers and first and foremore I think that the guys that go week in week out and who do so much for this club should never be forgotten because they have kept this club going when many (including myself) have walked away and stopped attending matches.  

All I am saying is that at the moment AUFC might be coming to a crossroads and has to decide which road to take next.  I dont have the answer or the money (unless I win the Euromillions tonight and I can assure you AUFC would have a new ground in Aylesbury, and a playing budget to boot) but hopefully as a collective group making and voting on a decision with an open mind will help the club.  No I wasnt at the last meeting but I did hear about it, and I have read on here and their messageboard about the stuff between both clubs and what Eaton and his gang did last time was not right, professional or accepted and rightly so that has left a bad taste with our supporters.  The fact is I truly beleive, both sides have something to offer and with the right people behind it with the two sides coming together could make a strong club but whilst people on our side are closed to the idea and there are people at AFC with big ego's who I have no doubt could do the dirty on AUFC at any time it would not work.  If AUFC can contiune to operate as a club and there are plans and money (which is always needed) to move forward then no, I dont want the merger either but at the moment I can not see how we are ever going to be able to get our club back to the level we once knew, it is not as though the council are going to help us either is it!

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
That is a huge problem, and I agree I dont think anyone can be trusted and that is why a new independent board would need to be voted in with the power remaining to a supporters trust like 21cd who have the power to remove and replace members of the board and the trust have full voting rights

I know that it would not happen, the big man at AFC would not let go of his power and that is a big part of the problem and at the moment the AFC supporters think they dont need the merger either but I dont think they are far off from their bubble bursting either, it is only so long they can progress with a lack of money and support

stallion

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
Will tell you more on Tuesday about them.