A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Mention in the Guardian

• 70 Replies

Lee

• View Profile
Re: Mention in the Guardian
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
Relegated to the darkest depths of the pyramid but still famous. Says it all really.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:52:20 AM »
Maybe if we ever merge again we will become Aylesbury United United

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:57:21 PM »
I always thought 'Vale of Aylesbury United' had a 'right' feel to it.

That name would enable followers of both merging clubs to use the 'old' names and somehow keep the history of both clubs alive.

I still believe a merger is unnecessary and that a ground share arrangement would keep almost everyone happy. 

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »
I always thought 'Vale of Aylesbury United' had a 'right' feel to it.

That name would enable followers of both merging clubs to use the 'old' names and somehow keep the history of both clubs alive.

I still believe a merger is unnecessary and that a ground share arrangement would keep almost everyone happy. 

Good to see you're still around Mickey!

I think *most* agree that a groundshare would help both clubs in the current climate . . a bit of common sense on both sides would currently help football within the area.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »
Common sense?  Too many egos that need massaging for that to happen.  Mr Martone seems to want to rub our noses in the dirt every time there is any talk about the 2 clubs co-operating.  Classic example being when Graham Read talked about the 3G pitch he has available for use.  To be honest, if we were to groundshare, it wouldn't be very successful on the pitch they have at present.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
I think the benefits of the rent AFC could charge and the extra bar, burger revenue etc would outweigh the fact that a few games may be lost each winter due to flooding.

AFC have a chance to significantly increase their turnover, which can only be good for them as a club and the development of their squad, it would be a shame if short sightedness got in the way of that. Commercial and common sense need to rule in this case.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
I agree with all of that - it just needs someone to make it happen!

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »
Maybe it is being discussed and maybe it is happening. According to the Aylesbury website it's all friendly stuff between Bill Read and Mark Eaton at the moment.

stallion

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
Mr Eaton has more spin than Alisitar Campbell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
For God's sake - how long does it take to negotiate a ground-sharing arrangement,
perhaps with AUFC paying ALL of the rent, leaving it attractive to AFC with no rental costs to cover ?  It has, of course, to be extremely attractive financially to AFC.

The bits about seniority of tenancy, takings from club etc. etc. can be ironed out quickly.

So many supporters seem to want something like this to happen that I am surprised it can't all be agreed in one afternoon or evening.

Meanwhile negotiations could be conducted with the Council to work towards a suitable ground for both clubs and the community to share in the future.........

While this delay continues your Club is dying on its feet.

stallion

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »
For God's sake - how long does it take to negotiate a ground-sharing arrangement,
perhaps with AUFC paying ALL of the rent, leaving it attractive to AFC with no rental costs to cover ?  It has, of course, to be extremely attractive financially to AFC.

The bits about seniority of tenancy, takings from club etc. etc. can be ironed out quickly.

So many supporters seem to want something like this to happen that I am surprised it can't all be agreed in one afternoon or evening.

Meanwhile negotiations could be conducted with the Council to work towards a suitable ground for both clubs and the community to share in the future.........

Will not happen I'm affraid whilst the current Chairman,and Manager are there at Aylesbury FC! They do not want a groundshare even though they are loseing money.Of course they will not admit that.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »
Maybe you'll have to be patient then, but I would think the opportunity for AFC to generate positive cash flow from a deal, enabling them to become a Club with means, could be too good to pass up.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »

Don't disagree Mickey. Leave the egos at home, have a chat and see what can be worked out. Both clubs appear to need it in one way or another.

Who the manager is, who the chairman is *should* be irrelevant . .  (but clearly won't be..)

Sad really that previous dislike can prevent a sensible solution working itself out.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
I know I am a Ducks fan, but it seems to me the man with the biggest ego is Danny Martone.  I remember when they changed their name from Stocklake he stated that he wouldn't rest until AVFC were the biggest club in Aylesbury.  At the time, it was laughable considering the relative league postions and strength of each team.  However, now they are playing at a level above us he must feel that he has achieved his aim.  That will only happen in my mind when they have a fanbase that beats ours, unfortunately give it a couple of years and it might just start to happen

I just wish there was some way that peace could break out at Boardroom level and a decent compromise could be found to ensure both teams are playing competitively back in Aylesbury.  Merger? No, Groundshare? Yes, both clubs would get some benefit.  Although given my earlier views about Martone, his ideals would appear to be the stumbling block - why would he welcome us back, especially to Haywood Way, when he knows our support would continue to thrive back in the home town and embarrass his club.