A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Just back from Flackwell

• 32 Replies
Just back from Flackwell
« on: July 26, 2022, 10:25:48 PM »
2nd friendly atteneded, not much of an improvement from my 1st. Archie lucky he wasn't sent off with his stupid and naive tackle. Flackwell the better team in 1st half. Was impressed with them. Just as well Ben was  away he wouldn't of been happy. Not sure we have improved from last season In my opinion. Really need a commanding keeper ASAP!

Lee

• View Profile
Re: Just back from Flackwell
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 10:42:56 PM »
3 at the back was a bit of a disaster tonight. Much better when we went back to a 4.

The penalty was a daft one to give away admittedly but I imagine frustration had taken hold by that point.

Credit to Flackwell on a good performance.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:46:04 PM by Lee »

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 10:45:33 PM »
Didn't go as I was on a late shift . From what my sources say I think you're being polite G&W . Keeper is a massive issue for me Archie may well be an excellent shot stopper but there is so much more needed from a goalie . I'll leave it at that for the moment .

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 07:15:57 AM »
Graham I totally agree!

PaulP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 10:09:47 AM »
Been thinking/saying similar for the past year or so. No pleasure in doing so but I just see it being a restriction on any progress. Happy to be proved wrong but, every game, I believe it's an area waiting to be found out.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 10:30:01 AM »
The problem last night was the starting formation that just didn't work on the night not the goalkeeper.

If the management and outfield players are happy with their keeper then so am I.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 10:43:49 AM »
What is it with us and not being able to play with a back 3

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 10:54:02 AM »
The problem last night was the starting formation that just didn't work on the night not the goalkeeper.

If the management and outfield players are happy with their keeper then so am I.

Sorry Lee doesn't look that way to me regarding his defence in front of him. As I said just my opinion.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 11:59:26 AM »
Depends on what you expect from the team I guess. We could play 4 at the back and two sitting midfielders every game and adopt a 'a point will do' attitude in the hope we nick a winning goal or we could look to play positive football and look to win games. With Ezra looking sharper with every game & Tom and Nasha looking like being assets I'd prefer the latter.

What's the worst that can happen? Relegation? Not ideal but apart from a game or two in the FA Trophy is there much difference between Steps 4 and 5 these days?

Don't forget that last night we had no A Ball, JJ or Hoggy, three of the first names on the team sheet ordinarily. 

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 12:12:16 PM »
Think you missed my.point. The defence don't look confident with Archie.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 02:11:27 PM »
the problem is Lee that we know exactly what is going to happen when the league season starts  - corners, free kicks, crosses will all be aimed in that 6 yard area. Archie is unable to command that area, chaos ensues and we will be conceding the same goal match after match

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 02:27:04 PM »
Only agree with others here re Archie, the proverbial elephant in the room this, if I see/read of one more goal conceded as the result of a speculative long range shot or lob or cross any typically sized keeper would not concede then I'm sorry. I'm baffled that Ben rates him so highly to the point that by awarding him managers player of the year twice he's confirming his strong status as #1 making him difficult to drop. I get that we can't justify having a reserve keeper signed up but there must be somebody better out there as harsh as it might seem on Archie who can't obviously help being so short.   

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 03:37:20 PM »
 Why couldn't we sign a second keeper Harvivia , what do you know that I don't ? Ben has so many contacts you'd have thought it would only take a few calls . Greg Williams ????!!!!

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 03:46:41 PM »
I suspect he means that with no reserve side what half decent keeper is going to sign on to not play much
'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 04:36:57 PM »
Also what keeper is going to sign on when he sees how the current number one is treated online!