A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Bills Diner

• 10 Replies

Graham D

• View Profile
Bills Diner
« on: July 20, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »
Can we get someone more reliable please or do they have a monopoly ???? I don't finish work until 6:30 tonight so won't now be in attendance ! All they do when they are at games  is moan about the lack of business......I know where I would tell them where to go !!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 07:07:49 PM by Graham D »

Leon

• View Profile
Re: Bills Diner
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 06:32:12 PM »
Appreciate that the club put out a Tweet giving us some notice this time...but yes, we either need somebody more reliable, or at the very least a backup plan! Bill's Diner missed far too many games last season, including some local derbies. It's a pretty bad look for the club when this happens...not to mention against Southern League rules, I suspect?

Pre-COVID, our landlords used to at least cook up some hot dogs in the bar when Bill couldn't be arsed - what happened to that?
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 181
Last new one: Aston Clinton (it counts)

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 11:12:43 PM »
Bill's Diner is a business at the end of the day, not worth their while if the numbers don't add up. Could help themselves by being more enticing with friendlier service and more originality with selection. See pics all over social media of some incredible food at non league grounds, rather than staple burgers, hot dogs, chips. He's lost business as well with his pricing and portion sizes. Shame if him not being there means fans give games a miss.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 11:32:20 AM »
We did communicate that Bill's Diner wouldn't be there, when we were informed - appreciate that may not have been helpful, if you don't use Tweeter (which I don't).

I will try and find out what (if any) contract is in place and we can review.

As someone who tries to eat healthy, then I'd agree that a broader choice would be good - but lets see what the arrangements look like.

I'll take that as an action.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 02:36:41 PM »
Thanks Simon, bigger fish to fry at the moment (no pun intended!) but not necessarily healthy food (!) as on Twitter see the most amazing burgers, wraps, loaded fries, chicken wings, foreign delicacies, pie & mash etc - in fact the grounds where this food is served actually attracts neutrals / groundhoppers to boost the crowds. Guess its a case of identifying these businesses, often are newly established and convincing them they'll make more than say at a market, car boot sale or other event they could attend on a Saturday afternoon - or midweek evening.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 04:09:26 PM »
I'd put you down for a small salad! Was that not what you intend?  ;)

Yes, bigger fish to fry, but something we can investigate in the background - important that fans feel they are getting the facilitates that they need.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 04:40:19 PM »
Thanks Simon, bigger fish to fry at the moment (no pun intended!) but not necessarily healthy food (!) as on Twitter see the most amazing burgers, wraps, loaded fries, chicken wings, foreign delicacies, pie & mash etc - in fact the grounds where this food is served actually attracts neutrals / groundhoppers to boost the crowds. Guess its a case of identifying these businesses, often are newly established and convincing them they'll make more than say at a market, car boot sale or other event they could attend on a Saturday afternoon - or midweek evening.

I think there's more chance of a niche provider (street food etc) doing good business at a midweek match than there is on a Saturday when kick off times don't really sit with lunch or dinner time. If people know they're going to football in the evening and they know that (for example) the Vanuatuan Goat Falafel Van (vegetarian / vegan options are available) is going to be there they'll budget for that being their evening meal.

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 08:45:56 PM »
Why can't we use Chesham's kitchen facilities employee a cook/chef supply the ingredients and pocket the money for the club  ? We've been ground sharing at Chesham for more years than I care to remember surely they would consent ??? If worse came to the worse pay them a % of takings ......surely they must owe us a favour ??!!

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 09:53:04 PM »
Why can't we use Chesham's kitchen facilities employee a cook/chef supply the ingredients and pocket the money for the club  ? We've been ground sharing at Chesham for more years than I care to remember surely they would consent ??? If worse came to the worse pay them a % of takings ......surely they must owe us a favour ??!!

I know this is a drum much beaten, but the problem again lies with finding someone to do that!  We struggle to provide player and Board room hospitality, we have asked for volunteers, advertised for kitchen staff, but no one comes forward.  Trust me, if it was that simple, we would have cracked it by now!  If anyone knows anybody that might be interested in helping, please point them our way!

Bill's Diner is our best option at the moment.  He is there most games, last night he was away, but he will be there tomorrow.  The times in the past when he hasn't been at the games he has been on holiday or not available for other genuine reasons.  Our biggest failing (recognised!) is not always informing the fans when we have known; most of the time we have done this, but again, with a few of us doing a lot of work, sometimes things do fall through the cracks.

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 10:28:42 AM »
I hear Lesley is a great cook !

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »

sadly, the facilitates at Chesham are in need of considerable upgrading - they too struggle with match day hospitiality. The two people who used to do it for them have now retired.

Anyway, thanks Graham, we are aware and seeing what we can do.