A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

The Relegation Race

• 34 Replies

jamie

• View Profile
Re: The Relegation Race
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 10:55:57 PM »

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2022, 01:55:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/petermiller36/status/1516527675346718724?t=uv92BYCXp3qctfieayITKQ&s=19

Risborough denied promotion but not relegated.

Madness. How can you put so much into a promotion bid only to then find out a week before that actually you can't be promoted?!
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 189 | Last new: Herns Way, Welwyn Garden City
Total grounds: 263 | Last new: Westfield Lane, Wrecclesham

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2022, 02:31:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/petermiller36/status/1516527675346718724?t=uv92BYCXp3qctfieayITKQ&s=19

Madness. How can you put so much into a promotion bid only to then find out a week before that actually you can't be promoted?!

apparently their ground doesn't even meet the standards for the league they were in, let alone going up to our level. They were aware enough of the situation to try and arrange a ground share with Thame (which has now fallen through)

Perhaps they should've thought of that before spending stupid amounts of money on players wages

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2022, 05:16:33 PM »
I was led to believe on Monday that a club can't sign a new groundshare agreement for the purposes of obtaining promotion - it would have to be a previously existing groundshare such as the one we had with Leighton when we went up?

Risborough are claiming delays in planning permission as part of their appeal it seems. Bearing in mind that this was their first ever season at step 5, it may just be a case of too much, too fast for the club. It will be fascinating to see if any of these appeals are successful, as nonsensical as it is that they are being heard so late.
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 180
Last new one: Arla Taan

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2022, 08:19:33 PM »
I think the annual 31st March deadline needs to be changed to something more realistic like 31st December at the latest. This does means that clubs will have to get work done earlier but also leaves plenty of time for appeals and also gives clubs who know they won’t be able to go up at the end of the season a chance to cut their cloth accordingly.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2022, 11:29:00 AM »

apparently their ground doesn't even meet the standards for the league they were in, let alone going up to our level. They were aware enough of the situation to try and arrange a ground share with Thame (which has now fallen through)

Perhaps they should've thought of that before spending stupid amounts of money on players wages

When I managed Tring Corinthians, Rangers were relegated to Step 7 because they didn't meet Step 6 requirements. The following season, they were promoted back to Step 6, despite only finishing 5th or 6th, as the clubs above them (including us, if I remember correctly) didn't the necessary grading.

SSML rules did state that you cannot ground share for promotion, so clubs (including Corries, after I left) played seasons away from home to try and get up - frankly, that was a waste of everyones money.

The grading system does need an overhaul - not least in regard of how realistic they are - having loads of seats which no one will ever sit on seems a waste to me.

Wouldn't it be good if, in this age of spiralling costs for energy, games could kick off at 2?

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2022, 07:42:00 PM »
Agreed
'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2022, 01:16:52 PM »
Welwyn won their appeal, so they're staying up after all. Kempston are in the relegation playoff, Colney and Wantage are relegated (again).
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 180
Last new one: Arla Taan

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2022, 08:02:31 PM »
Welwyn won their appeal, so they're staying up after all. Kempston are in the relegation playoff, Colney and Wantage are relegated (again).
May still be another twist in the tale!

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2022, 02:54:20 PM »
Well predicted Ian! North Leigh going up having finished outside the top 5 would be something else.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2022, 08:37:59 PM »
Well predicted Ian! North Leigh going up having finished outside the top 5 would be something else.

Might have had a tip off yesterday! ;)

All a sorry mess really, why this couldn't have been decided before christmas I'll never know.  Personally, I would scrap the current way they do it, by allowing teams the opportunity to upgrade to the required grading level after promotion.  Both Risborough and WGC are way short of what is required.  Change it to you have to have the required facilities before you apply for promotion.

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2022, 09:13:59 PM »
What a shambles Ian. This happens every season and The FA let this happen time and time again. Wait till they decided Leagues format. I predict again another shambles!

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »

Risborough got promotion from SSML Div 2 with a finish of 5 or 6th from memory.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2022, 10:26:21 AM »

Might have had a tip off yesterday! ;)

All a sorry mess really, why this couldn't have been decided before christmas I'll never know.  Personally, I would scrap the current way they do it, by allowing teams the opportunity to upgrade to the required grading level after promotion.  Both Risborough and WGC are way short of what is required.  Change it to you have to have the required facilities before you apply for promotion.

I understand why they do it later, with a "hard" cut off, because I bet many wouldn't priortise the work required, once they are accepted.

Not sure how much risborough needed doing, as they programme of work was quite short?

I do, however, think promotion should be decided on the pitch.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2022, 12:01:46 PM »
Whilst I don't have an in-depth knowledge of the ground grading system (and this may render the forthcoming points redundant) but I think a timetable along the lines detailed below would be preferable:-

By 31st October - teams to 'apply' for promotion to the next step (assuming on field requirements fulfilled at the end of the season).

By 31st December - the FA teams carry out their inspections.

By 31st January - the FA to contact clubs advising of inspection outcomes / any improvements required.

By 31st March - clubs to prove to the FA they have the permissions / funding / contractors in place to make any improvements required. The FA then grant permission for work to commence.

(By 30th June - the FA to carry out 'interim' inspections to ensure all works are progressing sufficiently).

By 31st October - all work to be completed. Teams may be playing at the next level by then if they were successful in finishing in a promotion place.

This would make the whole process a clearly defined 12 month process with strict deadlines in place.