A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

The Relegation Race

• 34 Replies

Leon

• View Profile
The Relegation Race
« on: March 05, 2022, 07:53:18 PM »
With Waltham Abbey drawing at Thame and Kidlington beating Colney Heath, the Ducks fall to fifth bottom after another late postponement. Hertford also won against Wantage, putting them within five points although Aylesbury now have two games in hand. There is some good news as Kempston lost in Romania, keeping them six points behind us with one extra game played. Our home games versus Hertford in March and Kempston in April might prove crucial unless we can find some points elsewhere.

Check out Peter Miller's magic spreadsheet below (not updated at time of posting but I'm sure it will be at some point tonight!) for a better idea of how relegation will work this season:-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IA8fb_rfVU6c3XJ98AuGdjbEOVaKoNrhsLp6Hcrq9ao/edit#gid=1969373512
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 180
Last new one: Arla Taan

Lee

• View Profile
Re: The Relegation Race
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 08:52:43 AM »
Looks like there might not be any geographical limitations on the relegation play offs so you could get a team from Hertfordshire playing a team from Lancashire. Adds a little bit more interest to them I guess (as long as we’re not in them!).

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 11:36:14 PM »
well after tonight, i've got the feeling that our relegation , via a play off defeat, is almost written in the stars.
led twice, but , as so often this season, they poured through our midfield at will and looked like they might score every time they crossed the half way line.
if we can't defend we ain't going to win many games, especially with a centre forward who can't or won't chase down and who then misses a gilt edged one on one. Ruddock looks like he's trying to do the work of 3 men in there, whilst as someone else said, the old regulars (french ,wood, bewley in particular) seem to have aged 4 or 5 years in the last 4-5 months!
desperately need to avoid defeat on saturday and then pray that kempston and hertford contrive to be just as useless as we are for the remaining few games, coz i don't see us picking up many more points

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 12:05:12 AM »
Have to agree HTH we were so poor tonight at times the unforced errors made me cringe with embarrasment . In fairness we never stopped trying or competing but some of the present crop of players are simply not good enough . To me we have two choices 1) carry on as we are , let the season roll on and face possible relegation or 2) increase the budget recruit better players to ensure we're still in this league next season . Unless we do 2) we face the real possibility of relegation.....plus , getting out of the league below will not be easy !!!!!

The club is at a critical point in it's longevity . The communication to fans is poor at best . Hate being so negative but needs need .

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 01:42:11 PM »
At a guess a good number of teams in the Spartan League operate on a bigger playing budget than we do. If we go down it'll be immensely difficult to come back up and I would expect a longer stay than the one we had before. Like you Graham I hate being negative but that's how I see it.

I agree that we're at a critical point. The long and short of it is we need money. If you look at our league, the league above us and the league below us the winners of those leagues this season will be 'money' teams (no matter how much they may protest otherwise). We can either generate that money ourselves (gate receipts, merchandise etc) or someone generous comes along and gets their cheque book out. The latter is extremely dangerous as numerous clubs have found out in the past and numerous clubs will inevitably find out in the future (again no matter how much they protest otherwise). I don't have the answers but the club needs to settle on it's aims for the short, medium and long term, if this includes stomaching relegation then so be it, those who love the club just want to know there's a vision to hopefully end the hand to mouth existence of the last few years. The fans deserve that, the management team and players do as well. 

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 03:28:02 PM »
Didn't think we were terrible last night, just silly mistakes costing us again (pretty sure Woody was fouled at the corner they scored to equalise from, too). Hopefully we can get some more minutes out of Jamie Rudd as he could be the difference.

Looking at the fixture list there are points on offer for us, and if we can't take the points we need from those games (dare I say it, some should be winnable) then quite frankly we deserve to go down. Hopefully won't come to that though, I think it's important whilst still playing out of town that we retain our Southern League status as the Spartan League is near impossible to get out of.
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 189 | Last new: Herns Way, Welwyn Garden City
Total grounds: 263 | Last new: Westfield Lane, Wrecclesham

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 07:10:23 PM »
Thought we were very good in the first half last night...second half not so much. To be fair I thought St Neots played some good football throughout which made it very difficult for us to do anything once they were ahead. But without our incompetence at the back they would never have been ahead.

Great to see Jamie Rudd back and scoring goals again. With Max gone and Stobbs injured we really could do with him being available on a regular basis.

The Ducks fans behind the goal made plenty of noise for a rearranged Tuesday night game a long way from home, especially considering the team's extremely discouraging recent form. The 15-20 teenage lads who came around with the sole purpose of goading us after they took the lead are something that St Neots FC could do with keeping an eye on in my opinion. Ducks supporters did well to keep their tempers in check given the disappointment of what was happening on the pitch.

Saturday v Hertford is the big one. It is a MUST WIN. Time for the whole team, senior players and new boys, to step up and show what they're made of.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 09:49:35 AM »
Leon - as the person who started this thread are you now in a position to officially declare us safe?!

WGC were held by Wantage on Saturday, FC Romania appear to be on the beach and Kempston are struggling as we know so I reckon there's definitely more points on their way over the next fortnight.

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 03:51:51 PM »
I will not declare us safe until it is mathematically true, but it is certainly looking a lot more promising! Hopefully by this time next week...?

I wouldn't rule out Kempston escaping from the playoff place - looking at the fixtures they have a very favourable run-in compared to Hertford. The big question is: will whoever finishes third bottom have enough PPG to get one of the reprieves?

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 06:55:17 PM »
I have to say, of all the results on Saturday, Hertford's demolition of Didcot stands out.  I certainly didn't see that coming based on their performance the previous week against us.  Perhaps it is a show of defiance in their fight to stay safe?

However, they only have 2 of 5 matches remaining at home, so the advantage of their new pitch may not be enough.  Certainly their run in is tougher than Kempston, but points on the board are important - 4 points clear with a much superior GD which is worth an extra point.

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »
Welwyn have failed ground grading (pending appeal) so will be demoted as effectively bottom of the table. Everyone else gets bumped up a place, so as things stand Colney Heath go from certain relegation to a relegation playoff, while 6th-placed North Leigh take Welwyn's place in the playoffs. Kempston are now safe.

I would imagine everybody involved would prefer to have known this at least a month or two earlier.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 06:07:15 PM »
If they are unsuccessful and are placed in South Midlands League will be a differcult league next season.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 09:55:24 AM »
Welwyn have failed ground grading (pending appeal) so will be demoted as effectively bottom of the table. Everyone else gets bumped up a place, so as things stand Colney Heath go from certain relegation to a relegation playoff, while 6th-placed North Leigh take Welwyn's place in the playoffs. Kempston are now safe.

I would imagine everybody involved would prefer to have known this at least a month or two earlier.
Except that Colney are likely to be relegated also because of their own ground issues - another reprieve for Wantage maybe?

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 11:52:57 AM »
They may be quite a few then in different leagues as well. Even Step 5 clubs I hear as well

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 03:58:13 PM »
If Colney are demoted due to ground grading anyway, then what SHOULD happen is Colney being placed in the bottom two with Welwyn, leaving Wantage in the relegation playoff where they can earn their place in step 4 on the field. But with six days to go until the end of the league season, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Again, no idea why any of these ground grading situations are still up in the air at this point. It's ridiculous!