A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

The future

• 9 Replies

AD81

• View Profile
The future
« on: February 22, 2022, 08:05:09 PM »
What are folks thoughts?

I suggested many years ago that asking for a delegation down to step 7 then playing anywhere in town and building back, I still think that is a solid option. Oxford City did that as have others.
'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka

Lee

• View Profile
Re: The future
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 09:29:43 PM »
I can certainly see the thinking behind your suggestion. After all the effort that’s gone into maintaining Southern League status in recent years would the majority of people find this palatable though?

As someone who when we won promotion to the Conference thought we might be in the football league by the year 2000 it’s probably best I don’t make any predictions about the future!

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 07:06:36 AM »
I was never anti the idea of dropping down a few levels if it gets us back into Aylesbury, but what would it actually achieve at this moment? We'd have to play somewhere like Fairford Leys or Bedgrove, which are sites that could never(?) be developed anyway which makes it pointless.

If there was an empty plot that could be developed over time then yes, definitely make the move. But I can't think or any locations like that.
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 189 | Last new: Herns Way, Welwyn Garden City
Total grounds: 264 | Last new: Meadowbank Ground, Dorking

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 02:08:57 PM »
I don't see the reasoning behind the idea of dropping down at this point. The club has had a competitive Southern League side for coming up to a decade now, and as far as I'm aware is doing so without living beyond its means. If either of those things were no longer true, then there would be an argument to be made.

The biggest issue with getting back to Aylesbury appears to have been finding and acquiring the plot of land to build on in the first place. Dropping into the ADL or Spartan Div 2 isn't going to change that. Being an established Southern League side with a 125 year history and an incredibly loyal following should give the club more leverage with local authorities etc, and that's the route we appear to be trying to take. Naturally, anything involving local authorities is a painfully slow process! There has been no real hint of the club privately acquiring land in the last fifteen years (outside of occasional overtures towards Buckingham Road), which indicates to me that the financial means are not there to do that, so unless somebody wins the lottery it's not happening.

For me, the best short-to-medium term chance of the club playing back in Aylesbury is a groundshare at Haywood Way, and I'm not sure that relations between the two clubs have thawed enough since the failed merger for that to become a possibility. I would like to think that the question is at least raised whenever the Ducks' groundshare agreements expire.
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 180
Last new one: Arla Taan

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 03:38:46 PM »
How much longer can be competitive at step 4? And even staying competive at that level, what is the long term gain? As is without cash injection even an unlikely promotion would be really tough, so with no realistic chance or ambition of promotion what’s the point? Fan base is loyal, so surely would watch whatever level, playing in Aylesbury wherever would surely attract more local support old and new and having that presence would make the likelihood of finding a suitable site more likely. As this fan base ages and as the current committee ages, there comes a time when that all stops, then what? If the team is in town those prospects are better whatever the level, not much local bragging rights in surviving at step 4, the history is wonderful but counts for nothing if the club reaches a point where continuing out of town is untenable, which at some point it absolutely will be. Haywood will have a war chest to win the league next year by all accounts and the budget will make them more than competitive (in theory) at step 4, that’s kind of irrelevant but it is a pressure no doubt. If the drop step had been taken say 7/8 years ago, who knows what could’ve been achieved in that time, what has been achieved in that time in reality is really only survival, year by year, is that what people want? Is that good enough?
'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 04:16:33 PM »
the whole argument is irrelevant because there's nowhere in Aylesbury where we could even play South Mids football, apart from the hated groundshare idea

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 04:57:29 PM »
the whole argument is irrelevant because there's nowhere in Aylesbury where we could even play South Mids football, apart from the hated groundshare idea

Plenty of places Suitable for step 7. Oxford city restarted pretty much in a field back in the very early 90’s. They also didn’t have anyone watching.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 05:00:28 PM by AD81 »

Jim R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 05:46:11 PM »
The Aylesbury United CLUB includes teams male and female with only one team not able to play in Aylesbury. Aylesbury is a growing town where sports grounds will have to be made available by the housing contractors. I have seen these is current developments. HS2 has caused a golf club to close down because the land was needed. Aylesbury town council are working hard to increase the provision for sport.
The senior mens team should continue at its current level and budgets. When the time comes for the mens senior team can play in Aylesbury again the whole club will welcome it.

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 07:44:35 PM »
I guess we will see. In the meantime will just keep scratching off another year on the cell block wall.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 02:38:46 PM »
How much longer can be competitive at step 4? And even staying competive at that level, what is the long term gain? As is without cash injection even an unlikely promotion would be really tough, so with no realistic chance or ambition of promotion what’s the point? Fan base is loyal, so surely would watch whatever level, playing in Aylesbury wherever would surely attract more local support old and new and having that presence would make the likelihood of finding a suitable site more likely. As this fan base ages and as the current committee ages, there comes a time when that all stops, then what? If the team is in town those prospects are better whatever the level, not much local bragging rights in surviving at step 4, the history is wonderful but counts for nothing if the club reaches a point where continuing out of town is untenable, which at some point it absolutely will be. Haywood will have a war chest to win the league next year by all accounts and the budget will make them more than competitive (in theory) at step 4, that’s kind of irrelevant but it is a pressure no doubt. If the drop step had been taken say 7/8 years ago, who knows what could’ve been achieved in that time, what has been achieved in that time in reality is really only survival, year by year, is that what people want? Is that good enough?

If Dynamos have a war chest to win their league next season then good luck to them. I think it was pretty clear they would start investing more in the playing squad when they appointed a manager with a proven track record. It makes perfect sense to see this season out and then start building the squad he actually wants in the summer. If the current promotion rules remain in place I'd expect the top of the SSMFL to be quite interesting next season with plenty of contenders.

What either club does is of little or no relevance to the other, those days are over. I think the town of Aylesbury has grown to the size where it can support both clubs. We live side by side quite happily at junior level so I see no reason why that wouldn't happen at senior level. The only threat to our existence is continued homelessness not AVDFC.