A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Just back

• 1 Replies
Just back
« on: December 15, 2021, 11:22:24 PM »
and back by popular demand (well, Graham asked me to restart the tradition! ;D)
so am settled down with a nice large glass of Cotes Du Rhone, celebrating a well earned point against the impressive league leaders Bedford. Big strong side, with big names,big whining gobs, big wages and big expectations ; you can see why they're top. Played some very nice fluid stuff at times, quality shone through during certain periods of play , looked very solid defensively and was particularly impressed by their number 10 who generally controlled the midfield and kept them moving.
We however really raised our game and the level of commitment and enthusiasm matched the Ebbsfleet effort. In a way this was a similar match. They looked very good ,generally, with a higher class of player, but they tended to played in front of us and our sturdy defence was very rarely turned around. I suspect this was how Ben wanted us and them to play and i further suspect he got one over , tactics wise, his Bedford counterpart.
We took the lead when JJ rifled home following a corner (possibly the first time during the game that JJ had kept the ball that low, and that under control! :D ;D :D), but Bedford equalised soon after with a Rene Howe bullet header from a corner which was inexplicably conceded by Jake. It was a very open, end to end game, must've been very entertaining for the neutral.
After that Bedford had the best of the game but were let down by Howe's constant offsides and poor final balls, whilst we caused numerous problems with quick breaks , generally involving Max, Stobbs & Sonny (who,btw, hit the bar from 25 yards in the first 10 minutes).
Great team performance. Archie made some superb saves to keep us in it. Jake had his best game of the season by far and Harry was excellent (looks like he learnt a lot from the Ebbsfleet game)
JJ and Jack were a lovely, rock solid partnership, Jack especially being at his imperious best.
Riddick was awesome and just edged motm for me. Sonny, apart from a quiet middle third of the game, was at his best, constantly creating problems when on the ball. Difficult game for Pierce who was out of position and generally outmuscled, but he stuck in there and will no doubt have learnt a great deal.
Max turned their left back inside out, and the lad cut  a sorry figure when he was saved from his torment by being subbed.
Ayo, our ex Grimsby non scoring centre forward, again proved what a good player he is, but once again never really looked like scoring - so frustrating! He's a really good player, got all the attributes, but just can't finish. He caused their very good, strong defence all sorts of problems. Can't make my mind up about Jaedon, but what i do know is that he really put in a shift and on 1 or 2 occasions showed flashes of real ability. Stobbs gave a brilliant 20 minute performance when he came on and helped enormously in giving them something to think about and defend against, when it looked like it might be  areal backs to the wall final 20 minutes.
All in al they did us, Ben and themselves proud against a team with a wage bill about 10 times bigger - well done lads !
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 11:26:05 PM by harry the haddock »

Ian

• View Profile
Re: Just back
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »
Great summary - can I copy and paste for the match report!   ;D

Another night when all concerned with the club can be very proud of themselves, a lot of people stepping up to help out which doesn't go unnoticed.  The performance on the pitch was also notable, little protection from the ref to some very robust challenges and a fair bit of gamesmanship going on to eke out a victory - Tom Daley would have been proud of the dive Connor Tomlinson performed to try to gain a penalty in the closing stages.  The yellow card count (5 - 0) tells its tale, but the first didn't appear until 2/3rds of the way through the match, which was generous in my mind.

We proved again that we can compete with the 'big boys' and will be challenging the play offs again this season, can't wait for our injured players to return and give it a good go in the new year.  7

Final plea:  Please don't let Omicron spoil the season!