A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

A-Z of Aylesbury United

• 7 Replies
A-Z of Aylesbury United
« on: May 07, 2021, 05:17:05 PM »
Hello all. I'm working on an A-Z of Aylesbury United to introduce people to the club as a kind of basic overview.

I've managed to come up with plenty on my own, but I've got a bit stuck on some letters, so any suggestions from you would be appreciated. The letters can stand for anything related to the club  historical facts, locations, famous events, notable players, etc.

I'll just be adding a short description for each one. Any suggestions very welcome, here are the letters I still need something for.

I  
J
L
M
O
R
S
U
V
Y
Z

Re: A-Z of Aylesbury United
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 10:13:39 PM »
Good idea Paul - some thoughts below:

I - Iorfa - Dominic Iorfa - scored 2 goals in on debut in 20 odd minute substitute appearance and then sent off before could enter field at St Albans in next game
J - Jack Wood
L - Loftus Road vs QPR in FA Cup although you may have that game down for Q
M - The Meadow
O - One hundred and twenty four years old
R - Ron Schmidt
S - Southend United win in FA Cup - first win against football league team (first and only?)
U - Biggest win vs Hornchurch & Upminster (10-0) in 1954

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 11:21:12 AM »
Z - Zachau, early 90s Danish hairdressing / goal scoring sensation!

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »
L - Simon Lacey, prominent Ducks supporter who went on to become joint-manager of the first team for a brief period in early 2004!

M - Craig Maskell, dubbed 'the Man with the Golden Touch', former Premier League striker who was Aylesbury's player/assistant manager during the 2002/03 season, who scored an absolute blinder in the first leg of the FA Trophy Semi Final that season (the second leg of which we don't talk about).

S - Stacey Field, who scored 8 (eight) hat-tricks for the club between October 2011 and October 2013.

U - United, the name given to the club following the merger of Night School, Printing Works and Aylesbury Town in 1897!

V - Vanuatu, the South Pacific island nation which AUFC was supposedly linked to in 2003. Two of their brightest prospects, who were allegedly being "nurtured and groomed by coaches" in their home country, were to come and play for the club during the 03/04 season. We await their arrival to this day! I'm not making this up http://www.aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/news/?e=1072

Y - Yeading, scene of the Ducks' 5-0 FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round win in 2001, followed by further celebrations in the bar as we were drawn away to Port Vale in the First Round Proper! The last time to this day that we have made it that far in the competition.

Z- Zack Reynolds, somehow still the last player to score a league hat-trick for the Ducks, against Egham in August 2014 (!). All three of them were goal of the season contenders!
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 178
Last new one: St Neot's Town

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 04:24:36 PM »
V - Vanuatu, the South Pacific island nation which AUFC was supposedly linked to in 2003. Two of their brightest prospects, who were allegedly being "nurtured and groomed by coaches" in their home country, were to come and play for the club during the 03/04 season. We await their arrival to this day! I'm not making this up http://www.aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/news/?e=1072

Still love that Vanuatu story... not sure who wrote the press release though - "nurtured and groomed"  :-[

There does appear to be a Koko Alick who got 3 caps for Vanuatu... wonder if it's the same guy? Guess he really was a big prospect for them.
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 186 | Steel Park, Corby
Total grounds: 253 | Last new: Bedfont Sports Recreation Ground, Bedfont

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 12:00:04 PM »
Could you imagine if those poor lads had come over? They'd have been moved to the other side of the world and then made to play for Chris Boothe and Kevin Wilson!

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 03:40:31 PM »
Thanks for your help everyone. With it, I think I've managed to find something for every letter. But if anyone has any further suggestions, I'm all ears.

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 04:31:18 PM »
Both Daniel Koko Alick and Lorry Thompsen (both names were spelled incorrectly in the Zeckler statement, naturally) actually have Vanuatu caps in the double figures. They were in the squad that famously won OFC World Cup Qualifying First Round Group 2 in 2004, and beat New Zealand in the Second Round! Arguably Vanuatu's best ever team!

There's an alternate timeline where Lorry Thompsen is the Ducks' top scorer in 2003/04, beating Alvin Bubb's insurmountable record of...five goals. It raises so many questions about that season. Would Koko and Lorry have kept Aylesbury in the FA Cup a bit longer and saved Chris Boothe's job? Would Kevin Wilson have gone along with it? Would Koko and Lorry have gone on strike? Or would Koko and Lorry have been in Pete and Simon's reserve team all season and then been forced into the first team along with Lewis Pritchard, Ryan Wiffin, John Winter and George Akhtar? Truly the mind boggles...
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 178
Last new one: St Neot's Town