A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Under 18 team

• 5 Replies

Jim R

• View Profile
Under 18 team
« on: October 21, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »
We have an team in the Wycombe and south Bucks League Div 2
https://fulltime-league.thefa.com/Index.do?divisionseason=59323670&league=882085998

Does any one know their future fixture list and home venue. Looks like a Sunday 10am league.
I think we need to ensure this team has access to the men's team. Do the club have plan?

Winslow have 2 U18 teams supplying players to their first team. This provides a pathway for the future

Lee

• View Profile
Re: Under 18 team
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 06:10:28 PM »
Hi Jim

I am the manager of the U18 team that plays in the Wycombe and South Bucks Minor League.

We are very much a mixed ability squad aiming to provide football for as many boys as possible.

Around 10 of the squad attend Bucks Sport Academy during the week and BSA have a team in the Tactic League that play as Aylesbury United. BSA provides a proven pathway to senior football (i.e the first team) as is evidenced by the number of ex students currently in our first team squad.

We looked at providing midweek floodlit football this past summer however given the club’s current predicament it just wasn’t practical or particularly affordable.

As well as providing football for as many boys as possible my aim as U18 manager is to give my players a foundation to ensure they continue playing football as adults. This may not necessarily be for Aylesbury United but if the vast majority are still playing in their mid 20s I’ll consider it job done!

The U18s next game is a tough home game against Holmer Green Rangers on Sunday 1st November, 10.30 kick off at Fairford Leys.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:13:07 PM by Lee »

Jim R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 06:36:35 PM »
Thank Lee for the clarification. I will put the fixture in my diary.

Jim R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 08:37:06 PM »
Today had my first view of the U18 team playing in the Wycombe and South Bucks league. They beat a strong Holmer Green 4-2. As Lee has said a team of mixed ability. A number of  players can play to a reasonable standard and understand how a team works together. As the team develop with physical and technical work they will improve. Well worth a watch and I will watch them again covid permitting.
My question is how does an 18yr old now progress with Aylesbury Utd? My suggestion is to enter a team on the Aylesbury and district league or High Wycombe Sunday Football combination.
The club must provide a pathway or the coaching and other support has little purpose. We are a club for the community surely with a top end senior teams for boys and girls. As we know "Harry Jones is one of our own" and may many follow him.

Jim R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
I see the U18 team won on Sunday 2-1 beating Ruislip Rangers. Well done to all. I did not go because I watched the Ladies team beat Launton 6-3 later in the day. It was a bit misty and cold.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
Thanks Jim. A goalless first half before the game opened up enough in the second half for us to take a 2-0 lead before conceding a consolation goal with 90 seconds left to play. Away to Holmer Green this Sunday in the last game of the year.