A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Just back, just so predictable

• 9 Replies
Just back, just so predictable
« on: October 06, 2020, 11:04:35 PM »
You know the scenario. Ducks build up a head of steam on the pitch, interest is sparked, regulars big up the quality of the side and how well they're doing, big following goes to local derby
.the result? Yes, you guessed it team fails to turn up, gives its worst performance of the seasonality side and we lose.
About as predictable as night follows day.
So frustrating, especially as Berko seemed to show the exact qualities we have showed in so many games. They seemed to knock us out of our stride and there was very little of the flowing football we've seen.we seemed to panic, looked unsteady at the back and too many long aimless balls.Ben must be as disappointed as he was elated Saturday night
No lack of effort , but if we are going to challenge at the top you have to able to close out a game when you've gone unexpectedly 2-1 up with 10 minutes to go.
Sad to say they had a collective off day with ball Jones and Mot m deacon being the only exceptions.
Ps once again an opposition player was the outstanding player, their number 11 ran us ragged

Luke

• View Profile
Re: Just back, just so predictable
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 07:54:28 AM »
Pretty much spot on in your assessment there. Only thing I'd add is that the excellent flowing football WAS there at the start of the game, until we conceded that stupid opener. If we'd taken one of the chances at the start the confidence would have remained and it might have been a different story.

On the subject of the first goal, luckily Weathers went on to have an ok game but a couple of shaky moments in the first half made me wonder why Hoppy hadn't kept his place... are we really rotating goalkeepers?! That went really well for us when last seen in 1999  ;D
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 186 | Steel Park, Corby
Total grounds: 253 | Last new: Bedfont Sports Recreation Ground, Bedfont

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 10:02:02 AM »
Maybe that's why in all the games I've seen we have looked so jittery at the back? Even jack looks fractious and frazzled in his on field behaviour. Is jordan Jenkins that big a miss?

Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
We were out battled by Berko I thought, they seemed to want it that bit more.  As metioned we strarted well and have great chances early on but giving away a crappy goal seemed to affect us.  Not going to get carried away with negativity though, 3 wins out of 4 is still a great start.

A shame to turn in a below par performance when we get a big following.  I just hope some of the rarely seen fans do a few more games this season and not get put off!

I'm sure Ben and players know how to imprve things for Coleshill on Saturday.  Hopefully we'll have another decent following.

Jim R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 12:54:00 PM »
Berko, made more clear chances than we did. The player we miss is Ollie Hogg in the central midfield. Ben was limited with his choices to change the game. I would have switch Bally and Harry to provide more forward power. Where is Ben Seaton?

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:32:51 PM »
Well, let's start with the positives. A good turnout from Ducks fans in terms of numbers. Ty Deacon scored two more lovely goals. We looked very good and confident until Berko scored. Nine points out of twelve is a dream start by any standards!

Now the negatives. Jack Hopwood has done nothing wrong to warrant his first team place being challenged, and by bringing in competition and 'rotating' them I really hope we don't risk losing the most reliable goalkeeper we've had in a decade.

Our defence is very exposed when chasing a game. This is nothing new - a big part of last season's success was that we didn't spend much time chasing games because we cut out the sort of errors that led to Berko's first goal last night.

Finally, Berko's ground is not at all well-suited for social distancing in a crowd of that size. I don't really blame them for this - there's not much their small band of volunteers could have done about it - but I felt uncomfortable from the moment I joined the queue outside through to the moment I left the ground after having to go through the main stand on the way out. I would suggest that maybe some form of segregation and implementation of an 'away end' might be necessary at Broadwater, because switching ends was not a good idea with very little space on either side of the pitch. I'm sure this is true of a lot of grounds at our level - we are lucky that Chesham has so much room to manoeuvre. Finally, I would like to think that, as fans who want to continue to be allowed to attend games, we could all show a little bit of intelligence and take care of each other better than we did last night. PS. Cut out the embarrassingly homophobic remarks, this isn't 1970.
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 178
Last new one: St Neot's Town

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 06:47:53 PM »
I’d challenge the title’s assertion this was predictable, as that was the first time we’ve lost from a winning position in a game since last October (Biggleswade away). Unless the predictable referred to the fact we failed to beat Berko again, and haven’t done so since 2012.

Not having been there I can’t judge, but this was the third game in six days, so perhaps fatigue was a factor in the last 10 minutes? Nevertheless, this season has already thrown up a selection on unexpected results, probably due to the circumstances, and I’m not sure we’ll see consistency from even the top teams.

Surprised to hear of the high attendance, given home attendances have been a little down on average this season (even allowing for two midweek games). I thought general restrictions might have been discouraging people, but perhaps not?

Defence has been a bit leaky so far, but given Ben hasn’t yet been able to play his ‘preferred’ line up of Wood-O’Connor-Jenkins-Bewley (Only a supposition on my behalf based on last season, no idea if that is the preference), hoping that will be resolved.

As disappointing as the result last night was, the performance against Corby was one of the best I’ve seen in 20+ years’ support, two years ago at 2-0 down in a game against the likes of Daventry we would have capitulated and lost 4-0, rather than coming back. Last season did raise expectations higher than they probably should be, but so far the team has lived up to them.

@Jim - I presume he must still be injured, as Ben had previously said he was at the start of the season.

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 07:31:29 PM »
I’d challenge the title’s assertion this was predictable, as that was the first time we’ve lost from a winning position in a game since last October (Biggleswade away). Unless the predictable referred to the fact we failed to beat Berko again, and haven’t done so since 2012.

I think the 'predictible' was more a general statement on Aylesbury United's habit of just starting to do well, attracting decent interest again and then falling flat. Seen it so many times down the years.
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 186 | Steel Park, Corby
Total grounds: 253 | Last new: Bedfont Sports Recreation Ground, Bedfont

Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 08:39:36 PM »

I think the 'predictible' was more a general statement on Aylesbury United's habit of just starting to do well, attracting decent interest again and then falling flat. Seen it so many times down the years.

That's my take on it.  Interest perked up, bigger than usual crowd and we lose  :(

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 10:24:12 PM »

That's my take on it.  Interest perked up, bigger than usual crowd and we lose  :(

My message to those Ducks fans who came to Berko to see what the fuss was about with the team this year, its not much further to Chesham, do come and see us against Tilbury in the Trophy on 17th Oct and in the home games that follow - the added bonus is that your club gets the cash!