A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

The day the Ducks played Arsenal

• 0 Replies
The day the Ducks played Arsenal
« on: January 22, 2020, 12:42:52 PM »
Never thought I would write these words; "I've played a competitive match against Arsenal!" (To be fair, calling my pitiful contribution "competitive" might be taking it a bit far!).

Aylesbury United Walking Football Club entered a regional cup competition at Bisham Abbey on Sunday, as part of a 16-team tournament. This included two South-East representative sides (we had to nick our 'keeper Lawrence back off of them) and a little-known club from North London.

In our qualifying group we beat Leyton Orient 1-0. (My Grandad would kill me - they are the Family Team on my Dad's side). We then lost 1-0 in a very enjoyable game against our regular foes Oxford United.

That left us facing Watford FC, with us having to win to progress. (In an excited Norwegian accent) "Nascot, Harviva and any other Hornets out there - your boys took a whipping! Elton John, Graham Taylor, the Harlequin Centre etc". Truth is, they hammered us and we fluked a 1-0 win completely against the run of play. We can see why Lawrence is in the SE representative squad  - he was unbelievable!

As a result of this daylight robbery/thuggery, we were through to the QFs. At this point, we were drawn against that team from North London I mentioned earlier. (My Mum n Dad's team; we have a habit of NOT supporting the team of our father in my family). For the first 10 minutes we more than held our own and then went in front, after a Pete C. (He's one of our own!) free-kick was deflected in. The Arse then blatantly cheated, by bringing on their best player, and suddenly we were 2-1 down. We also helped matters by bringing on a crippled bald bloke who ran around aimlessly chasing shadows for the last few minutes; when will I learn how to play the game! It ended in an honourable 2-1 defeat, with Arsenal going on to lift the cup. (The only silverware that Club's getting this year).

For those of you who are too old to play "proper" football, please feel free to join us on a Monday night, between 7-8 PM at Meadowcroft artificial pitches. The first session is free, 3 a night thereafter. Don't worry about what standard you play at - we vary from "not very good" to "really not good at all". It would be lovely for you to join us and you would be more than welcome - especially Mr Durban. (There's always a "warm" welcome for any fans of the smaller club in North London).

For those if you going to the Didcot game tonight, hope you all enjoy!