A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Buckingham Road

• 48 Replies

Lee

• View Profile
Re: Buckingham Road
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2019, 09:54:17 AM »
I agree with Luke, what exactly do people expect the club to say?

If the board felt that buying back Buckingham Road was unaffordable then I applaud them for not gambling with the club's future and quite possibly their own given most commercial borrowings require personal guarantees these days. It was throwing silly money after an impossible dream that got us into this position in the first place.

Buckingham Road wasn't the be all and end all and there are other irons in the fire, slow burning irons I admit but the dream of a return home is still very much alive.

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
No official statement yet?

Saying what? "Club was outbid... we carry on as before."

If thatís the case then why not say that, if there are other plans perhaps outline them, if there arenít then confirm that. I think the question is surely why no statement, not, why have a statement? If there were funds for some sort of bid are those funds available to put into another ground. Plenty of things to be said.
'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »
There's an article on the Bucks Herald website that is loaded with quotes from Graham and outlines the plans moving forward.

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »
linky-thingy here:
https://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/people/aylesbury-united-fail-their-bid-buy-back-buckingham-road-ground-1344101

i was pleasantly surprised to hear that Fairford Leys is still a goer, i thought we'd been thwarted at the last minute and that possibility had died. hope springs eternal.....

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »
Was there really nobody or no local businesses willing to partner the club for the extra 150k surely the club after 13years could have built up partnerships even shared ownership/percentage into the club?

Maybe even the other aylesbury side co-sharing the stadium surely both clubs should be able to enjoy a great stadium together.

Sad and completely gutting for the fans but it doesnt sound like the board really wanted buckingham road anyway so we have to respect they have the best interest of the club at heart and as the chairman has said its not worth putting the club in trouble..

On a separate topic - fairford leys is this really the best option??????

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
I'd argue Fairford Leys is a better option that Buckingham Road was.

There's a clubhouse and changing rooms already there and there's plenty of green space to develop a ground.

In addition there wouldn't be the initial costs of clearing the site for development as there would be at Buckingham Road.

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
Slug managed to get a venture going with the Council for a community stadium. Might be a good time to go to the Council again seeing that it's all changing over to a Unitary Authority from April

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2019, 04:31:07 PM »
"What do we expect the club to say in a statement?" Well, all of that stuff that Graham said to the Bucks Herald, for a start! Plenty of that was news to me, even as somebody who has attended every game this season. Surely that's the entire point of having a club website, to keep us supporters up to date with important developments at the club etc?
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 178
Last new one: St Neot's Town

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2019, 06:58:58 PM »
Don't want to start a love in with Leon but I do agree with him . We have an admired website so why not use it ??? I'd much rather read about events effecting our club on it as it has more authenticity for starters . I agree we should never jeopardise the exsistance of our great club with a finance burden that we can't sustain but I'd thought we'd offered more than the auction price just a few months earlier ?? In the board I trust , but poor communication.... can't stand it....look what it did to the Labour party .
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 10:02:55 PM by Graham D »

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2019, 11:47:17 PM »
linky-thingy here:
https://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/people/aylesbury-united-fail-their-bid-buy-back-buckingham-road-ground-1344101

i was pleasantly surprised to hear that Fairford Leys is still a goer, i thought we'd been thwarted at the last minute and that possibility had died. hope springs eternal.....

Cheers for this.
'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2019, 09:11:38 PM »
Arenít there a number of issues with Fairford Leys that make it unlikely.

Council owned and they make money from renting them, why would they give that up?

Youth teams use it, where would they go and how it would it be received if they were just kicked out?

HS2? I thought there was an impact with this of it goes ahead.

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2019, 09:37:40 PM »
It's not the football pitches, it's the golf club which is the area in question

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2019, 09:56:08 PM »
It's not the football pitches, it's the golf club which is the area in question

Thatís good, is that out of the way of the fecking HS2 or might that still be an issue. Really hope that gets canned. Is the stadium at Stoke Mandeville still there?

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »
Well.... don't shoot the messenger   ???
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 186 | Steel Park, Corby
Total grounds: 251 | Last new: The Athletic Ground, Wells

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2019, 01:32:50 PM »
Haven't felt so 'told off' since high school , I'll leave it at that I think .