A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Didcot just back.

• 23 Replies
Didcot just back.
« on: January 12, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
Well that wasn't very good was it? Just back from the nice warm fire in the pilgrim n 3-4 pints of smooth beechwood which helped sooth the pain of a crap performance against an impressive Didcot. Almost a mirror image of the early season game. Far too good for us, scoring goals at will against an inept defence. A much better second half didn't mean much as they took their foot off the gas again and we tried harder simply to avoid being humiliated.
No lack of effort but it's difficult to imagine that we started with 7 defensively minded players who seemingly had collective amnesia as to how to defend. Add to that an ex Stocklake keeper who played like he was the martone's secret agent and it was almost the perfect Storm. Tbf there was no lack of effort but with French, Mitford and seaton on the bench we had consigned this game to defeat before we even started.
The only player to emerge with any credit was m.hercules who had an excellent ,committed ballsy performance and scored the best goal of the game.the rest of them were had a collectively off day , particularly ball and the new lad who had previously played so well. Poor old Archie must be wondering how he was dropped after having had 2 very good games in place of a dinger bell type replacement. The way he managed to throw the ball in slow motion against his own post will live long in the memory.
A game and a day to forget .at least Stocklake and the plastic franchise scum also lost, but generally a day which made you hate being a supporter
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:26:11 PM by harry the haddock »

Lee

• View Profile
Re: Didcot just back.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:53:43 PM »
Beaten by the stronger team today. There are some very decent teams at the top of this league.

Maxís goal was a brilliant strike. It must be hard for Ash given he hasnít played much this season, give him a few games to settle in and heíll be fine. It was funny when he accidentally threw the ball against the post, hopefully he sees the funny side given it didnít do any damage to the score line.

Good chance to get 3 points next week given the Welwyn team we face will have only been together for a week!

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 10:30:59 PM »
Defending is our weak spot. Been like it for ages. If we can see it why can't the manager. Yes Didcot are a good team but the goals we give away. After 1 min they scored. Poor marking and closing down all game. Don't expect much anymore other than we can't compete against decent teams!

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 10:33:46 PM »
can we just pretend that game didnt happen,

didcot are a very impressive team and with players like callum McNish( number 8 )&Luke Carnell(5) there going to be comfortably in the play-offs,
our goalkeeper was awful from the start and apart from one great tip on to the bar near the end was clearly just proving to ben that he shouldnt have dropped archie,
we were never gonna beat didcot today but couldnt we at least have tried to scare them abit and make there defence have to feel like they have had a game,
please stop playing aaron or tre on there own upfront clearly they both need support maybe even play together would be nice,
on the plus side sonny looked good when he came on and max never stopped running and wow what a goal from max,
lets hope a messed up welwyn side next week might be a confidence boost our team needs

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 11:04:53 PM »
Didcot were outstanding, in fact I would go so far as to say they were the best footballing team we have played all season. They absolutely played us off the park for the first 15 minutes, despite a fantastic Ducks goal in the middle of it all. We did begin to look threatening for a while at 3-1 down, but the freekick to make it 4-1 killed us dead and they held us at arms length with ease for the remaining 50 minutes.

I think it's safe to say that a couple of the recent signings have yet to prove their worth in a Ducks shirt. On the positive side, it's great to see our most talented player back and looking (although probably not feeling) like he never went away.

As the manager rightly says, it is only one defeat in four games, BUT we've also only seen one win in the last seven, so perhaps we have the right to be a little concerned/miffed?
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 170
Last new one: Corby

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »
I suspect if you did a league table based on budgets it would be similar to the league table based on results . We can tweak here and there....start Sonny , play Horatio (when over illness) , play Archie but when all said and done pound notes talk and the more you have the more successful you are . We are mid table at best and considering our circumstances it ant all bad .

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 12:08:33 AM »
I think it's fair to say Didcot were by far the better team today. I'm sure they have a bigger budget than ours, but that shouldn't affect our commitment! I thought Anthony Ball was our best player, closely followed by the ever-reliable Jack Wood. Our defending for the the second goal was shambolic, given how we had just scored the equaliser, and then to concede a third from a soft corner was childish.... As previously mentioned we need to show more maturity and control when we get back into games and not concede easy chances so soon after getting back into matches.

As for the keeper situation, I think Archie's excellent, but often hear opinions that he's too small...a view I don't agree with, but we do need more than one fit goalkeeper in case Archie gets injured or sent off.  How do we know how good Ash is if he doesn't play?

I don't know that, given injuries and availability, I would pick a different team than Ben, and against weaker opposition (and a different referee) the Ducks might win this match and everything would be rosy!  Onwards and Upwards to next week!

Come on you ducks!!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:09:04 AM »
Well that wasn't very good was it? Just back from the nice warm fire in the pilgrim n 3-4 pints of smooth beechwood which helped sooth the pain of a crap performance against an impressive Didcot. Almost a mirror image of the early season game. Far too good for us, scoring goals at will against an inept defence. A much better second half didn't mean much as they took their foot off the gas again and we tried harder simply to avoid being humiliated.
No lack of effort but it's difficult to imagine that we started with 7 defensively minded players who seemingly had collective amnesia as to how to defend. Add to that an ex Stocklake keeper who played like he was the martone's secret agent and it was almost the perfect Storm. Tbf there was no lack of effort but with French, Mitford and seaton on the bench we had consigned this game to defeat before we even started.
The only player to emerge with any credit was m.hercules who had an excellent ,committed ballsy performance and scored the best goal of the game.the rest of them were had a collectively off day , particularly ball and the new lad who had previously played so well. Poor old Archie must be wondering how he was dropped after having had 2 very good games in place of a dinger bell type replacement. The way he managed to throw the ball in slow motion against his own post will live long in the memory.
A game and a day to forget .at least Stocklake and the plastic franchise scum also lost, but generally a day which made you hate being a supporter

You melt. Just loves to bite on a fish!

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 11:03:27 AM »
Our defence does worry me - Which is a concern.   I was lucky enough to hear Tony Adams talking about the art of defending on Friday, where he talked about the importance of having a defensive unit which knows each other and trust each other.  Bewley , Wood and Crook know each other very well, with Greg in front of them they shouldn't be  conceding 4 goals in a game as regularly as we do.  Our defence used to be a strong point.  Not this season.  Only 5 clean sheets, 2 against inferior quality teams in the County Cup tells a story.

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »
First rule in football Ian is you never trust anything an Arsenal fan/player says
😁😁 Biggest difference for me in defence this season is that Callum is way off the pace when he plays and although Archie plays so well he is very quiet whereas Jack in goal is the opposite . I assume Jenkins was brought in for his vocal direction but his form has been erratic , so far .

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »
 Pressure must be getting to someone again!

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 08:37:24 PM »

Oh dear, I seem to have upset the used car salesman. I knew his vow of purdah wouldn't last too long. Obviously in tony_world it's illegal to have an opinion.

Therefore in attempt to calm the old boy down I will give you a true summary of the game. A fine performance from 1-11 who defended like lions and with a discipline that the inter Milan team of the 60s and 70s would have been proud .all this was backed by a keeper who made de gea look ordinary. We lost to 4 offside, lucky goals all scored against the run of play by the useless cheating Didcot. They were aided and abetted by an awful refereeing performance from a man who had a local south Oxfordshire accent and knew all their players by name.

Actually I made that last sentence up, but the swamp rats chair will get where I'm coming from!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:04:11 PM by harry the haddock »

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 08:41:25 PM »
 :) :) :). Sidekick here.  So funny that we are so alike then. He has a sidekick too. Slap coming our way again. Top man.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 09:40:12 PM »
:) :) :). Sidekick here.  So funny that we are so alike then. He has a sidekick too. Slap coming our way again. Top man.

He is a classy individual isn't he? I would've thought he had more pressing matters in his life than trawling the forums of another club and then misreading posts. ( if you read it properly Tony you might realise that the scum reference was to a  certain professional franchise operating out of north bucks rather than our beloved near neighbours) . Quite why he thinks that advocating someone being assaulted is the way forward is beyond me. Maybe if he could understand that a fans forum is precisely that- a place where fans discuss their team, then he might not get so upset. Perhaps if he doesn't like reading fans opinions he shouldn't spend his evenings reading the fans forums of other clubs Just a thought.......

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »

Donít think thereís any need for anyone from Aylesbury to feel any pressure. The bottom two at the end of April will be WGC and Dunstable Town.