A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Good News/Bad News

• 90 Replies

Luke

• View Profile
Good News/Bad News
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »
Sonny French looks like an excellent addition to the squad - good news.

We're moving to Thame - probably also good news for the club.

Bad news for me personally though and I'll really have to consider over the summer whether I can make 40 mile, 1 hour 10 minute round trips for 'home' games next season. Gutted  :'(

Will now be very interesting to see whether we're switched to Division One South & West next season too. Lots of new grounds if that's the case! But a whole load of other implications also...
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 186 | Steel Park, Corby
Total grounds: 251 | Last new: The Athletic Ground, Wells

Re: Good News/Bad News
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:58 AM »
An excellent signing.

Mixed feelings about the move.
Much, much better facilities, which will attract more players- I imagine not many players fancy playing out of Leighton.
Similarly to Luke, a pain in the arse for me travel wise.

Not just for me, but players too. We've got a few Hemel based players, JB lives in Luton and I'm sure there are more who'll be effected. Then there's the issue of which league we'll be placed in. Southern S&W entails huge amounts of travel- how many of our current crop of players will fancy Cinderford on a Tuesday night?Especially when we can't pay them that much.

Only time will tell! I've complete faith and trust in the Board to look after our fantastic little club!
Will try and be there for the derby!

COYDs

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
I just hope those in charge at the club know what they're doing, seems like a massive and completely unnecessary risk to me.
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 178
Last new one: St Neot's Town

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »
Massive risk. Especially if we are moved to the south west division I can't see many players sticking around baring in mind where they're all based and the low budget :(

andf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »
Be interesting to get a proper club statement on the reasons behind this move

I appreciate that the facilities are newer at Thame and it may be that we've struck a better deal financially but I'm struggling to see many other advantages

Also some news about the plans to get back into town would be nice - if we still have any

What realistically would be the chance of having to go South & West?

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »

What realistically would be the chance of having to go South & West?

Just been having a look at that. Probably nothing would be known until the league lineups are announced, but we would be a very easy candidate if they do need to move a team into that division - would literally be on the dividing border.

Further West than Godalming (who were in that division last season), but obviously not as far South.
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 186 | Steel Park, Corby
Total grounds: 251 | Last new: The Athletic Ground, Wells

Lowey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
Possibly not the most constructive thing I've ever written but my initial reaction to whoever is behind this is a quote often heard at matches from a good friend:

'You're having a 'mare!'
AUFC forever! Keep the faith!

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
When you look at the clubs who may well be relegated from division above they are all teams who are likely to find themselves in our current division next season. The risk of S&W football increases substantially as teams will need to move across. Godalming and us, with this move, are the most at risk.

Lowey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
It's good to see the positive comments on Twitter too though.

As I said, I think that this is a decision that opinion should have been canvassed on. As if attendances drop that is a negative, but if they increase then it's clearly a positive.

Anyway, it's done now int it! It's certainly a very good playing surface at Thame.
AUFC forever! Keep the faith!

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
I should be able to attend a game or two more at Thame but I can see the validity of the points about moving from Leighton as we were / are clearly settled there (whether that's a good thing or not?!).

Re Sonny French, a good signing on paper. I just hope he's willing to make a tangible commitment to AUFC and has not just signed for us in order to stick two fingers up at whoever it is he's fallen out with at Haywood Way.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
Why so negative? May be a very good move 15 minute drive to Thame better parking and facilities including training. Yes we may have to move Division only time will tell on that. It may be a case that the management and players will not want to move there but some have played there already this season. I for one am quite positive about the move.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:26:26 PM by green and white »

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 02:28:14 PM »
If we're not careful we'll end up in the Hellenic League within a couple of years, let alone the S&W.

Complete madness to destabilise the club for no good reason.
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 178
Last new one: St Neot's Town

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
I should be able to attend a game or two more at Thame but I can see the validity of the points about moving from Leighton as we were / are clearly settled there (whether that's a good thing or not?!).

Re Sonny French, a good signing on paper. I just hope he's willing to make a tangible commitment to AUFC and has not just signed for us in order to stick two fingers up at whoever it is he's fallen out with at Haywood Way.

Talking to Sonny at last week's match, it became clear quite quickly that he just wants to play football.  Fortunately for us, it's not about how much he can get paid!  He has had other offers, but in his talks with Joycey he has found out that we have a manager who wants to (and does) look after his players and make them feel wanted.  Whether he stays for next season or not, he is welcome and will add something to the team/squad.

As far as Thame is concerned, I can understand the concerns of the fans who will have longer journeys to matches and the worries about which league we will play in.  What I do know is that we are going to a much more modern stadium, which is equidistant to Leighton (and Chesham) and easier to get to from Aylesbury.  There is a half hourly bus service which stops 5 minutes walk from the ground, which should make it a lot easier for those who rely on public transport to get to matches.  I am sure that discussions with the Southern League have been held to determine which league we would play in, and again, I am sure that the management would have been consulted about the planned move.  The playing surface at Thame is a great bonus, it will certainly help the club attract a lot more players to come and play.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »
The playing surface is excellent and the bus link is also very good. Interesting few months left of season.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 02:40:43 PM »
Fair enough Ian, straight from the horse's mouth is good enough for me!

Just looked at the S&W League Table and there's some fair old trips involved - Tiverton, Taunton & Bridgwater for a start.