A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

22 years in exile

• 4 Replies
22 years in exile
« on: August 17, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
It's now been 22 years since I saw my last game as an Aylesbury resident, a 0-0 draw away to Worcester City FC in the early part of 1987 before I joined the army.
Having just missed two previous games in five seasons up to leaving (An away friendly at Harlow Town, no coach and the league cup game Vs Milton Keynes City as I opted to watch the East Germany game at Wembley instead) it was a rench getting the train to Woolwich for my training. Once posted to Dortmund in Germany I was then sent to County Tyrone in Northern Ireland when I completly missed the end of the season when the Ducks won the Southern Premier. It took me three days to find out the VS Rugby result due to three of the lads getting blown up outside the Spar shop in a small village called Carrickmore by the IRA. Unfortunately one of the soldiers injuries was fatal and we was all banned from using the only pay phone inside the barracks for a week, there was no mobiles in those days!
Back at Dortmund I still managed to watch 12 games in the Conference the following season, commuting via car/train and the ferry but this was turning out to be expensive.
Having moved to Salisbury Plain in 1990 I took up refereeing which made my watching of the Ducks very limited although I made quite a few midweek games. My rise up the refereeing ladder to the conference put paid to watching the Ducks although now retired from whistling for the last six years I can now make a couple of games a season. I do wish we was in the South/West division though!

Any other Ducks in exile with some happy memories?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:48:29 PM by Tidworth Duck »

Re: 22 years in exile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:16:19 AM »
Are you Mark the Ref returned?

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:49:10 AM »
Yep, but I've been under various names on the DotW forum!

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 01:07:53 PM »
You are a master of disguise!  I assume you aren't Patient.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »
Deffinately not! ;D