A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

This season how will it end

• 17 Replies

Jim R

• View Profile
This season how will it end
« on: March 23, 2020, 03:11:39 PM »
Much debate in the non league paper about what about  should happen to the 2019/2020 season.
1) End it now because football does not look like starting in 12 weeks. Even by September would be hard.
2) Restart the 2019/2020 season when able , no matter when.

I believe the season should end now and consider the whole season null and void. We will still have had our enjoyment , its like a film being destroyed , with the last 20 % missing

Any other thoughts?

AD81

• View Profile
Re: This season how will it end
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 03:34:50 PM »
The knock on effects of promotion and relegation is massive. Do ppg to this point and call it on that, any play off promotion places to go to 3rd place or whatever the first position is after the automatic places.
'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 05:19:58 PM »
I'm torn. I don't like the idea of just abandoning the season, and deciding promotion/relegation based on PPG doesn't seem entirely fair either considering that everybody hasn't the same point-scoring opportunities (eg. some haven't got their 6 points v Wantage yet!).

But if we wait until everything is back to normal and attempt to complete the season, how much would the non-league scene have changed in the meantime? You have to imagine there will be a lot of clubs struggling to financially survive with zero income, not to mention the makeup of the squads will likely be changed so much as to make them unrecognisable from those who started the '2019/20' season (eg. Wantage could snap up all of Oxfordshire's best players and become unbeatable, while Berko may find themselves in administration and losing every remaining game while fielding their former youth team).

I think it's going to be impossible to find a solution that is really in the spirit of how a football season should work...so maybe we should just abandon it?
Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 178
Last new one: St Neot's Town

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:26:18 PM »
No outcome is going to be entirely fair now but in my opinion ppg is the fairest of all, at least the time and money hasnít totally gone to waste and promotion and relegation and all that goes with it is not lost.
'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:08:13 AM »
Its a horrible situation for all clubs.
Teams like halesowen have been great and deserve there success but seems unfair to relegate teams who could still put a good run of wins together.
Maybe the non-league will just have to have another move around and give teams choices based on finances aswel?

AD81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »
Its a horrible situation for all clubs.
Teams like halesowen have been great and deserve there success but seems unfair to relegate teams who could still put a good run of wins together.
Maybe the non-league will just have to have another move around and give teams choices based on finances aswel?

Yes it would seem unfair but surely more fair to reward teams for what they have done not what they might do.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »
Chesham have announced they are starting re-seeding work on the pitch so they aren't expecting a re-start before August.

There's no fair way of doing it so I'd tentatively go for PPG and either promote the top three or play the play offs in August with strict rules that only players registered as at the close of play can play. Clubs unable to field a team as a result would have to, sadly, forfeit their place in the play offs.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 01:06:01 PM »
I'm surprised Chesham have taken that decision.  I hope they don't end up with egg on their face if we need to.play games in May.

A calculated gamble, but I think they will be alright.  I doubt the season will be completed, with a decision soon I suspect.  How they work out who starts where next season is anyone's guess.  More restructuring due also, to add another complication to the pot!

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »
Statement from the league just published.

https://www.betvictorsouthern.co.uk/News/124013/League-Statement-24th-March-Season-201920-

TL;DR The season has been cancelled, outcomes yet to be decided.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 04:37:06 PM »
Seen a spreadsheet that suggests if they apply PPG Halesowen will win the league.

Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 08:56:22 PM »
PPG for promotion seems the fairest way to finish.  Obviously playoffs won't happen.  No relegation and play every league with one extra team next season; then re-org after that to get desired numbers back.

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:52 PM »
I agree, they have to make a decision on whatís actually happened rather than what might have happened in March and April.

Promote Halesowen and only have one down from Step 3. Wantage should be relegated and replaced with the best PPG from one of the Step 5 leagues. Postpone any other re-jigs until next Summer.

Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 01:59:06 PM »
Dare I say not having our own ground and missing out on Buckingham Rd could be a blessing is disguise at the moment?  We probably have fewer overheads than a lot of other clubs right now.

Liam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 03:34:45 PM »
OFFICIAL:  season 19/20 for steps 3-6 has been cancelled and all results expunged.  No promotion or relegation.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »
OFFICIAL:  season 19/20 for steps 3-6 has been cancelled and all results expunged.  No promotion or relegation.

With the league now over will we continue to acknowledge players appearances/goals etc, lots have players have reached milestones from 50-500 games
are we still gonna pick a player of the season?