A reminder: Whilst this forum is provided for discussion on matters relating to Aylesbury United Football Club, it is not officially endorsed or connected to the club. All posts are opinions of the original poster and are not representative of the club's opinion. This is an unofficial forum.

Just back

• 11 Replies
Just back
« on: October 26, 2019, 07:12:32 PM »
Longest trip of the season, best following of the season, probably the biggest game of the season, the chance of winning some much needed wonga and they were, to a man, absolutely bloody awful, as bad today as they were good last week.im still struggling to believe it was the same players. Ty is probably, apart from hoppy  who could have any excuse.he was isolated with bugger all service and up against their very decent number 6.they played the torrential rain n wind perfectly whereas we thought it was a great idea to pass the ball around when we were 2 down and a gale in our favour.we didn't even have a shot in the second half until the 85th minute, whereas they had peppered us with shots in the first half. No shots  no pace, no closing down, no creativity completely bloody awful and making it even worse there are no.positives to take from it.they let everyonecdown, particularly  themselves coz they're better than that.going to take out my frustration on a couple of bottles of Portuguese red.lets hope normal service resumes on tiesday

Luke

• View Profile
Re: Just back
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:27:46 PM »
Just dreadful all over unfortunately, simply didn't turn up, I don't think anyone had a good game today. Bitterly dissapointing.
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 185 | Rowley Park, St. Neots
Total grounds: 247 | Last new: Hanbury Stadium, Haywards Heath

Leon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 08:38:40 PM »
Awful showing. Losing by a two-goal margin flattered us. They exploited by far our biggest weakness - defending set pieces. I wonder if they watched the highlights Sevenoaks put on YouTube from the last round?

Too many players simply weren't at the races today, and one or two of them consistently do not appear to be up to the task at step 4 level. The sooner some of our first choice midfielders and attackers get back to match fitness the better.

Grounds I've seen the Ducks at: 178
Last new one: St Neot's Town

Graham D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 09:17:02 PM »
I havent said it many times this season but we were second to everything over the entire game losing all battles . Today was not good enough , can normal service resume Tuesday please .

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 09:20:59 PM »
Such a shame. Great travelling support and a real chance to go further in the competition and we had an awful off day. The conditions were dreadful but that was the same for both teams and they dealt with it while we didnít. This doesnít define our season so far as weíve had so many good performances but we need to learn from it. We had a difficult day, turning up late, poor weather conditions etc but thatís going to happen and thatís where you have to step up to the plate and still deliver. All a learning process and the best way to deal with it is to put it right in the next game

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 09:40:22 PM »
I can understand everyone's frustration. Today has gone,  I am looking for big response on Tuesday. COYD!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »
I think the frustration of having seen so many fantastic performances this season is that our two worst performances have come in cup competitions that matter in terms of income. Unfortunately due to those fantastic performances the bar has been set at potentially a higher bar than it should have been? I think we would have all taken unbeaten in the league after 9 and second best defensive record in the country before the season started although I am sure we would have liked us to have more of a cup run in either the senior cups.

I heard one of their fans say that was the best they had seen HH play for quite a while, particularly in the first half, so it sounds like they raised their game yesterday. Their number 4 was a very good player and basically cut off the supply to Deacon. He was also pretty handy on the ball and going forward.

I would suggest that they had done their homework and the videos on twitter from Sevenoaks showed some areas of weakness which they were able to capitalise on / prepare for. They pressed us high up the pitch, nullified our wide play and had clearly practiced set pieces. It was unfortunate that marking mistakes led to two of the goals but shows that we need practice on this (as well as shooting!). There was one occasion on a corner where one of our centre backs was dragged out by the player they were marking becoming a short option, this should never happen and they should have swapped. Centre backs need to remain in the box!

It was interesting to see HH warm up. Their attacking players were practising finishing from crosses and particularly heading. Given our shooting boots were not on against Dunstable this may have been a good exercise for us to do.....?

Given the wind/rain advantage in the second half there should have been a clear message to pepper their goal keeper with shots with Deacon closing down the keeper in case of a spillage. They nearly scored from well hit long shots that the wind clearly helped so why didn't we do the same. Not the first time in the last few years we have not played to the conditions.

Unfortunate that we had so many off performances and picked up another injury or potentially two. Hopefully Riddick injury is not too serious and Hoggy returns soon. Was surprised to see Bally replaced at half time as he actually made a good few tackles/interceptions in the first half although it might have been a roll of the dice to bring a more attack minded player on.....?

Fantastic support from us as usual. One or two idiotic HH fans in attendance that seemed to want some agro which was unnecessary, and great that we didn't rise to that idiotic behaviour. When you score, just celebrate the goal - there is no need to try to aggravate the other set of fans.

Also what is the point in having a drum and only drumming it a couple of times during the match...ÖÖ..

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 10:01:23 AM »
What more can be said that hasnt already.
Absolutely awful performance and fact they didnt clap the fans that travelled all that way speaks volumes.
We seem to only have one way of playing and dont seem to have a planB which seems to make it easy for teams to work us out.
Poor lewis must have upset the manager as really isnt getting game time and could maybe have filled that gapping hole in the middle.
Sadly ty upfront just isnt anywhere near as good as ken when on his own and in the first half the opposition really ran rings around bewley at fullback.
Top marks to all the fans that travelled and some there supporters were praising us even the gobby guy said that he was impressed with our support and there drummer was probably the nicest and friendliest guy ever.
We still have the league and realistically did anyone expect a strong team this year i was expecting another relegation battle so delighted and cant wait for the next game :)

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 03:08:44 PM »
Horrible performance to match the horrible conditions. Never got going and never looked like getting back in the game conceding 2 early soft set piece goals when playing uphill into the strong wind. Even with key players out, and a homer ref, was a strangely lethargic flat display especially considering the large Ducks following and bigger feel than a league game. Annoying our 2 poor performances this season have been in the major cups.

Hard to sometimes anticipate the opposition when they're from different leagues and whether they were just superior or we weren't at the races.

Nice friendly home club though and just have to put it down to being "one of those days" - class support throughout in what had that big game feel, just a shame the players didn't respond.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »
Too many tough games , too much travelling have caught up with us . . . We have played a lot of the big boys in the League and things will be fine. Keep The Faith

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
I see that Haywards Heath lost 7-0 at Royston Town in Trophy next round today...
Grounds seen Aylesbury at: 185 | Rowley Park, St. Neots
Total grounds: 247 | Last new: Hanbury Stadium, Haywards Heath

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 09:13:51 AM »
When I saw that draw, I could see nothing but a home win.  I'd like to think we wouldn't have conceded 7 if it had been us though!   ???